What are the categories in Google My Business?
When you create a new business in Google My Business, Google My Business requires you to define a category for your business. The Procab Studio team, one of the leading SEO services in Geneva, does this on an ongoing basis, especially as part of their SEO strategy. When you define your category, it helps your business to appear in relevant searches in Google My Business and Google MapsThis can give your business a big boost if you are targeting mainly local customers.
Some numbers to keep in mind
- There are more than 3000 Google My Business categories in 2020
- Google allows you to select up to 10 categories for your business
- You can only select one main category, which is the most important in Google's algorithm
Choose the best category for Google My Business
When selecting a category, you will get the best results if you follow these three basic rules:
- Be as specific as possible when choosing your Google My Business category.
- Add as few Google My Business categories as possible to describe your main business: the more categories you have, the weaker each individual category is in finding a potential customer for businesses that do what you do.
- Describe your business, not your services or amenities - If you add a new restaurant to Google My Business and that restaurant has a bar, you should not add "Bar" as a category because that doesn't describe your business, but your amenities.
Google My Business categories
This list of Google My Business categories is sorted by business type. If you have trouble finding something that describes your business based on the guidelines above, try a less specific category.
Since this is a very long list, you can use your browser's search tool. Use your keyboard to type CMD + "F" on a Mac or CTRL + "F" on a PC and search for your business type.
Otherwise, if you need help with your SEO strategy, don't hesitate to contact us contact.